Saturday, September 19, 2009

Saturday Mornings, Cookie Crumbs & Lingering Sleep-Deprivation

Restaurant Loving Hut

http://www.lovinghut.fr/

This is pretty great. A totally vegan resto (along with 2 others) in the meat-center of Paris! I think I may go AUJOURD'HUI!

I went to a health food store yesterday and found
- Nutritional Yeast
- TVP
- Almond Milk
- Soy milk (obvi)
- Rice milk
- Oat cream
- Quinoa milk
- Hazelnut milk!

And some vegan cookies. Which I have promptly consumed.

In other news, after emailing my life away to AR orgs in Paris, I finally got a connection! They're already having a tabling event this Sunday (with too many people -- 7 of their 19-person army of love). So I'm super pumped to take part in that! Gotta read my "Animal Liberation" in french. Makes me wish I had more time ...

Also, my program director recommended an internship/volunteership at the WWF. As far as I know, it's a pretty tame organization (ha! tame! I'm so funny.) and may actually go against veganism if it comes down to specifics. So. . . but i need a job! If anyone knows an AR organization that would like to offer help... I'm getting desperate!

Oh yesterday I made pancakes and it was a minor-fail, but they were still pretty damn tasty. Because of the conversion things, I ended up eyeballing a lot of stuff.. her's the recipe


VEGAN PANCAKES*

- 2 tsp (small... spoons?) baking powder**
- 1/2 tsp of cannelle (cinnamon, en français)
- 2-3 small spoons sugar (sugar added because i had no maple syrup to top my pancakes
- 1 3/4 cups flour - 2 cups flour (T65 in France. Flour for patisseries)
- 1.5 cups soy milk + 1 Tbls apple cider vinegar (put aside to let curdle for 5)
- 1.5 cups well-mashed banana
- Walnut pieces, approx 1/2-3/4 cup
- 1 Tbls sunflower oil (canola oil works better, I think).

Key to cooking is to taste your batter after you're done and add ingredients by taste!

Served with banana slices, cocoa powder & powdered sugar. (No one ever said these were health pancakes). If you don't have maple syrup like I did, consider making some mashed banana sauce -- add a pinch of soy milk or soy cream to your banana mush, and possibly some granulated sugar if you're feeling up for it to make a delicious topping.

*This recipe is much better when you add almond extract (1/4 tsp) and vanilla extract (1/2-1 tsp)

**baking powder in France is BIZARRE.

1 comment:

Best Vegan Cookbooks

  • Lunchbox Vegan
  • Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World
  • Vegan with a Vengeance
  • Veganomicon