Friday, August 13, 2010

ShoutOut

This is a shout out to animal rights activists, who see so much pain around them, but are forced to bite their tongues in seemingly banal social settings, who are ‘not offended by the sight of meat’ when prompted -- the raw flesh of another living being, the scent almost carrying the image of slaughterhouse slashing down upon their genetically mutated bodies. But oh no, we don’t mind. We’re mainstreaming the movement, after all.

We lost a vegan voice in the movement last week: Dylan Ravenfox was an eloquent and intelligent voice for the animals. He reminded me how much we, too, are animals and how important it is to recognize our own animality. He reminded me of the importance of language and the intricacy of its structure to understanding the world we live in. The interconnectedness of social movements, and above all, the importance of art in social movements. With his loss, I feel compelled to tell you that we need to step it up a notch. He was a force to be reckoned with, and he’s gone.

Knowing that he was someone who struggled with depression for much of his life, I want to shout out to you animal advocates. The sadness that lingers behind the corners for us is real, and if you need a helping hand, I’d be happy to support you. As activists in a damaged world, we need to help each other along the path to healthiness. To healing. So that we can change this world of which we are so critical.

I feel much joy as an activist—I see the change in the world that I’m trying to create. Even though social change is slow, I see it, I see us making a difference, and it’s beautiful, invigorating, and always rejuvenating. I just wanted to take a moment to examine the shadow of this brightness – that depression is a real and serious illness and that you, me, we all must take it very seriously. Even if you’re just stumbling upon this blog, feel free to email me if you need anything at all. Sometimes having a little extra support is all we need.

Love,

Lauren

laolaughlin@vassar.edu

1 comment:

  1. "The broken clock is a comfort, it helps me sleep tonight,
    Maybe it can stop tomorrow from stealing all my time
    I am here still waiting though I still have my doubts
    I am damaged at best, like you've already figured out.

    I'm falling apart, I'm barely breathing
    With a broken heart that's still beating
    In the pain there is healing
    In your name I find meaning
    So I'm holdin' on, I'm holdin' on, I'm holdin' on
    I'm barely holdin' on to you

    The broken locks were a warning
    You got inside my head
    I tried my best to be guarded, I'm an open book instead
    I still see your reflection inside of my eyes
    That are looking for purpose, they're still looking for life.

    [...]"

    I thought I'd retype these verses from the album sleeve of a Lifehouse record from three years ago. The song is "Broken" from the album "Who We Are", written by Jason Wade.

    And the song is on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjbmAzbrMJM

    I know I don't know Dylan Ravenfox nor have I been involved in the animal rights movement (I do, however, have a deep revulsion for animal abuse), but the tone, content and spirit of your entry all ring true in a heartfelt way.

    Stephen

    ReplyDelete

Best Vegan Cookbooks

  • Lunchbox Vegan
  • Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World
  • Vegan with a Vengeance
  • Veganomicon