Friday, August 20, 2010

An Era of Loss

I've been denying it, but now it just seems too unreal. Everyone is dying.

My good friend's father died this semester.
My sister nearly died in a car accident this March.
My grandfather died of Alzheimers this April.
My friend Dylan committed suicide this August.
The day before his mother's birthday.
I learned that an old high school classmate killed himself last year.
A girl at my high school died of a mysterious brain inflammation last week.
A teacher's son from my high school is suffering from his second bout of leukemia.
My close friend just had a miscarriage today, after 4 months.

When everything is fleeting, what can we cling to? Maybe to making subversive pancakes, to flowers growing out of the cracks, to meaningful sidewalk art, to a stranger's smile, but fuck. There's so much loss. It hurts.

3 comments:

  1. :(

    Somebody else I know has also been going through similar tragedies. I'm sorry to read that you've had to deal with so many tragedies during this period of time. Please do your best to hold on and keep your head up. Despite everything.

    Stephen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel so strongly what you're suffering--but I'm older, and to an extent need to accept the inevitability of loss. For me, too, this has been a season of grief. Dylan was very close to me: his loss I have yet found no way to accept. We, and the animals, have lost a passionately ethical activist and powerfully spiritual presence. Perhaps the first step toward solace, if not healing, is admitting the bewilderment and pain we feel. From there, renewed and even fiercer dedication to the values that Dylan articulated and enacted so beautifully. My very best hopes to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kim,

    Thanks so much for your kind words. How did you know Dylan? Feel free to email me at laolaughlin@vassar.edu.

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete

Best Vegan Cookbooks

  • Lunchbox Vegan
  • Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World
  • Vegan with a Vengeance
  • Veganomicon