Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Green Your Grounds



I switched to a French Press recently, and I'm a serious fan, besides the fact that my coffee is coming out oddly strong. Maybe I need to work on my proportions. Or maybe my coffee just became magical overnight. I'm going to stick with the latter possibility. I like to think that my Don's Local Coffee Beans uses magic as a secret ingredient over its evil archnemesis Maxwell House.

Anyway, while Coffee is still a neocolonial cash crop that you should probs just avoid, I know myself, and right now in my life as a busy student, I am a happier person with large quantities of caffeine in my body. Maybe you share this feeling. When I drink coffee now, I'm going to use a more environmentally-friendly alternative to the drip-coffee machines:

The French Press!
No coffee filters required (for you daily coffee drinkers, visualize how much extra waste this makes! even if you are composting!), no hot plate using energy to keep the coffee warm, just the initial heating of water in your hot-water heater, hot-water spigot, or handy-dandy microwave.
Price range $20-$30.
A good link on this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Best Vegan Cookbooks

  • Lunchbox Vegan
  • Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World
  • Vegan with a Vengeance
  • Veganomicon