Monday, March 29, 2010

Challenging Hierarchies in Education


I love it when professors go by their first names,
When classes are in circles,
when i learn just as much from the guy
sitting next to me as the professor on the roster.
when professors fumble for acceptance like a schoolkid,

It begins to radically examine the way we go about learning and what it means to truly learn,
It breaks down the distance that we build up between students and professors,
It almost makes up for every hierarchical jab my French professors made when they tutoied me (but s/he required the respect to be vousvoied)
It takes away the pretentious air of learning that people are so fond of
it allows us a space to recognize that some have more wisdom than others,
but there's still room for equality
It makes me welcome to learning, and not just learning in an academic space in a specific set of four walls --
but anywhere anytime in my life.
And this is pretty fucking great.

Sure, my school is still hierarchical in many ways, but it makes my day so much brighter to see the little glimmers --the cracks of resistance.


*pic from here. No copyright infringement intended!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Best Vegan Cookbooks

  • Lunchbox Vegan
  • Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World
  • Vegan with a Vengeance
  • Veganomicon