Monday, April 12, 2010

"Interruption" by Brenna Sahatjian

I've just stumbled upon a gem! I've listened to the Climate Composition that Evan Greer gave out when he came to play here but I guess i kept missing the last track entitled "Interruption" by Brenna Sahatjian. I know what you're thinking. Obscure song references are boring and self-indulgent. But seriously, the minor melody and bittersweet voice of the singer really makes this an interesting song, i think, and if you're a person hiding in the shadows of oppression and trying to forge your way into something better then maybe you'd get a kick out of this too. It's always great to realize that you're not alone in your resistance, that we're all in this punky goodness together.

The last four lines -- which are much more meaningful when properly contextualized in the entire song -- are as follows:
Excuse me I was talking or living or dreaming or just being
too bright for the gray malaise of these modern days
To each interruption we'd answer with eruptions
of the lava that bubbles underneath the mundane.
She writes/sings about how we all resist the mundane through our daydreams, but how interruptions bring us back to our banal monotony, keep luring us into our cages. But there's lava bubbling up under that mundane, so it's okay. We can make it through the gray malaise :)

Sooooo good. I'm so grateful for music, for words, for poetry, for communication. And oh god this unread blog is turning into a stereotypical quasi-journalish radical space. Woe is me.

1 comment:

  1. Lol. Don't worry, Lauren. My blog's been little read for a while and unread lately too.

    ReplyDelete

Best Vegan Cookbooks

  • Lunchbox Vegan
  • Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World
  • Vegan with a Vengeance
  • Veganomicon